Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Samsung Galaxy Note battery explodes in Korea, owner injured

Korean news "Chosun Ilbo" reported that the battery of Samsung Galaxy Note blew up while it was inside the pocket of a 55-year old man. The man was reportedly carrying the phone with a spare battery in his pocket when the explosion occurred. It is not clear if it was the spare battery that caused the explosion, or the battery inside the Galaxy Note. The man reportedly suffered second degree burns to his right thigh.

The Bupyeong Fire Station in Incheon was called to the scene of the accident.

A Samsung spokesman in Korea downplayed the incident:

    “Lithium ion batteries can catch fire due to external pressure or sudden changes in temperature, so we’re trying to understand what really happened.”

The report notes this is the second such incident involving a Samsung Galaxy smartphone in the country, after a schoolboy suffered an injury when his Galaxy S II exploded in his trouser pockets in March last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment